This Hill’s Weeping Fig (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) is located immediately north of Moreton’s (Sussex) Hotel in a small triangular garden bed, adjacent to pedestrian pavement and below the sandstone wall to Napolean Street. Unlike the other Fig planting in the street it is away from the street kerb line and offers significant amenity to both Hickson Road and Napolean Street and the Sussex Hotel. It’s canopy extends over the garden bed, footpath and half-way across the road (Sussex Street). The Fig is likely to have an extensive root zone.
This Hill’s Weeping Fig measures approximately 20 metres in height with a canopy spread of 30 metres and trunk diameter of 1.4 metres at 1.0 metre above ground level. This tree is estimated to have been planted c. 1947 and appears to be in only fair health and condition. The canopy is not very dense and shows signs of thinning.
This single Hill’s Weeping Fig (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) is a visually prominent specimen of dramatic form and impact in this streetscape. It offers significant historic value, and contributes to the streetscape.
This Hill’s Weeping Fig (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) is comparable in size and scale to the Hill’s Weeping Figs in Hyde Park. It is one of the largest trees on Hickson Road/ Sussex Street and is older than the other street trees which date from the 1970’s. It appears to have been planted c 1947. (refer to City of Sydney Archives Photo circa 1947). It is located in the beer garden of the Sussex Hotel.
This species is an important historical component throughout the City of Sydney LGA and has been used extensively in public street and park planting schemes since the Inter-War (c.1915-1940) and well into the Post War period. These figs continue a lush, native broadleaf evergreen theme consistent with earlier nineteenth century planting schemes and provide high ornamental amenity and biodiversity values in this urban setting. Further Hill’s Weeping Figs have been planted in Sussex Street/ Hickson Road in the 1970’s. Most of these trees however, are relatively small in stature due to the shallow nature of soils and underlying hard-stand associated with earlier reclamation works. Sussex Street marks the eastern edge of Cockle Bay prior to the 1830’s period.