The Moreton Bay Figs (including three smaller specimens) are the dominant components in the mixed group. Georgina Street forms a more or less contiguous group of mixed figs linking to other fig planting in Hollis Park (refer to listing in this Register).
This mixed avenue planting of Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) and Port Jackson Figs (Ficus rubiginosa f. glabrescens and f. rubiginosa) is an integral part of this streetscape and its terrace houses. The avenue of trees is considered to have group significance at the local level in terms of aesthetic, historic, and social values. Georgina Street is located within the Hollis Park Conservation Area and is scheduled in the City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012.
The Hollis Park Heritage Conservation Area is historically significant as a rare example of an 1886 subdivision set around a ‘City Square’ developed with grand late Victorian terrace houses. The Hollis Park precinct has aesthetic values for its harmonious streetscapes and fine grouping of Italianate terrace houses of high integrity enhanced by the mature Ficus plantings in and around the park. The area is representative of a range of housing of the late Victorian period and includes Newtown’s earliest major park.
These species of figs became defining elements of late Victorian and early Federation landscapes. The style of row planting of public parks and street, using native rainforest figs, was promoted by Charles Moore during the latter part of the nineteenth century and J H Maiden during the early twentieth century. Aerial photos from 1943 indicate that these trees were smaller and younger than the trees planted in the nearby Hollis Park. It is assumed therefore the oldest trees date from the c. 1920’s.