Farrer Place is a small triangular-shaped paved area in the City’s CBD, located on the corner of Bent Street and Young Street adjacent to Governor Macquarie Tower (opposite O’Connell Street).
This group of three Washington Palms (Washingtonia robusta), located in raised planter beds, are old specimens relating to the Department of Education building.
These tall exotic palms, standing approximately 22 metres in height (clear trunk) are of group significance at the City/ LGA level.
Farrer Place contains a group of three Washington Palms (Washingtonia robusta). The park forms an important part of the City’s public open space and is scheduled in the City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012 and Sydney City Heritage Study. The palms are significant in terms of their visual, aesthetic and historic values.
Farrer Place commemorates William Farrer (1845-1906), pioneer in the development of drought and disease resistant wheat strains (State Heritage Inventory). These hardy and drought tolerant palms from northern Mexico were used extensively throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century, particularly during the Inter-War period (c.1915-1940).
These palms are an important component species within the City’s public parkland and in private gardens.
Other mixed exotic palm species, including the American Cotton Palm (Washingtonia filifera) and Dwarf Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii), have been added to this group. While the eclectic mixed palm style was typical of many nineteenth century public planting schemes, the integrity of this simple, single species group has been compromised by these more recent additions.