The trees are located in the public verge and tree pits in asphalt pavement adjacent to kerb on the southern side of the street only. Specimens that were planted on both sides of the street in the lower section (Chalmers Street to Elizabeth Street) previously forming a more or less contiguous avenue of interlocking canopies over the roadway.
The planting layout in the upper eastern portion between Elizabeth Street and Riley Street changes to a single row plantation with a smaller scale and younger age structure (c.1940-1950). Canopies extend over the roadway, footpath and adjoining buildings. Root zones are generally contained within the footpath and roadway.
The trees measure approximately, height 20-23 metres, canopy spread 12-18 metres and trunk diameter up to 1.0 metre at one metre above the ground. Most of these trees appear to be in generally fair to good health and condition with varying levels of past pruning. These large trees are growing in very confined spaces along a narrow footpath.
It is considered that this group of American Cottonwoods (Populus deltoides) has significance at the local level in terms of visual and historic values. While none of the trees are significant as individual specimens, together they form a significant and cohesive group. Furthermore, there are relatively few examples of the mature, single species contiguous avenue within the City of Sydney LGA.
They are reaching the end of their safe useful life and the City has began a replacement planting program along the rest of Devonshire Street with a species with similar attributes, Tulip Tree (Liriodendron tulipifera).
The group of American Cottonwoods (Populus deltoides) is split into two separate sections and age structures. Significantly, the 1943 aerial photo of this area does not show any tree planting along Devonshire Street. The lower western portion between Chalmers Street and Elizabeth Street has the oldest and tallest specimens in the group (c.1950-1960). The trees have been planted on both sides of the street and used to form a more or less contiguous avenue of interlocking canopies over the roadway. Older specimens have been removed over the last few years now only leaving a group of three. The planting layout in the upper eastern portion between Elizabeth Street and Riley Street changes to a single row plantation with a slightly smaller scale and potentially younger age structure (c.1960-1970).