Crete Reserve is a small parcel of public open space surrounded by neighbouring residential properties. The Reserve contains two mature Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla). They are 18m in height with spreads ranging from 20-25m and substantial trunk diamaters of 2.2-2.5m when measured above the root flare. The form, structure, scale, balance and integrity of these landmark figs however has been compromised through relatively recent history of unsympathetic pruning and canopy re-alignment with respect to adjoining neighbouring residential property boundaries.
The reserve’s two mature Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) are locally significant in terms of aesthetic, historic, social and biodiversity values. It is likely that the trees were part of a commemorative planting scheme, possibly during the early Inter-War period. The figs are visually prominent features in a landscape which is otherwise largely devoid of any substantial or significant tree planting.
The land in the area was first granted to William Hutchinson in 1823 but it was not until 1912 that the Town Planning Company of Australia purchased 273 Acres of the Waterloo Estate for 24000 pounds and large scale subdivision of the area took place. The main force behind the subdivision was Richard Stanton who had earlier success with the garden suburb of Haberfield. The varying size of the allotments reflected their intended usage. The larger lots were in the northern part of the subdivision and where the industrial buildings were constructed. The northern industrial areas were slow to develop with little development prior to 1924. (State Heritage Register).Aerial photos of the Reserve dating from 1943 show the two mature Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) as well established specimens. This would indicate a planting date of some time probably in the late 1920’s.