This avenue planting of seventeen substantial Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) is located within a private industrial lot, just outside of the street boundary. Their canopies extend over the roadway with their root zones largely within the private property and adjoining verge. The trees measure approximately, 23-25 metres high, with a canopy spread of 30m+ metres and trunk diameter of 0.9-1.2 metres at 1.4 metre above the ground. Generally, the figs appear to be in fair to good condition with relatively dense canopies and some dead wood and branch inclusions present. These figs have grown as a close group and are significant only as a group and not individually.
This extremely large and visually prominent row of Hills Figs were commonly planted in this area of Sydney from 1930-1960’s. Many have since been removed due to conflicts with street and building infrastructure. They represent an early example of planting within the southern industrial precinct are particularly aesthetically significant in an area where large trees are uncommon. They make a significant contribution to the industrial streetscape of Burrows Road, despite being in private property.
These massive Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) were not present in 1943 aerial photos of the area. Street photos in the City of Sydney archives of Burrows Road in 1983 illustrate the trees at a very substantial size. It is therefore assumed that they were planted in the late 1950’s to early 1960’s.