Although set-back from the Port Jackson Fig planting in Joynton Avenue, this Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) is visually and historically linked to the broader planting scheme in this location (refer to Joynton Avenue Listing).
This fig is an important contiguous component of this larger group of avenue trees and is likely to date from the late nineteenth to early twentieth century period. It is the only Moreton Bay Fig to be planted within this broader group.
The overall (Joynton Ave) planting scheme has group significance at the local level in terms of aesthetic,historic, social and biodiversity values. This specimen also has individual significance in terms of its scale and massive proportions in this prominent location.
These figs were planted extensively throughout the parklands of the City of Sydney and became defining elements of these late Victorian and early Federation landscapes. This legacy was largely due to the work of Charles Moore (Director, Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens 1848-1896) and other leading botanists and nurserymen during this period of Sydney’s development.
It appears to be the last remnant of a row of Figs planted as part of buildings and internal roadways associated with the Race Course located between Joynton Avenue and South Dowling Street.