This group of three large figs comprises one Ficus rubiginosa f. glabrescens together with two Ficus rubiginosa f. rubiginosa.
The two Ficus rubiginosa f. rubiginosa are located on the upper embankment / sandstone outcrop.
The Ficus rubiginosa f. glabrescens, a particularly outstanding specimen, is located in a raised planter bed behind a low sandstone wall adjacent lower steps on Kent Street.
Their canopies extend over the adjoining parkland/ embankment (upper) and steps/ footpath and partially over roadway. Extensive root zones are likely to extend to similar areas. They measure, height 12-16 metres, canopy spread 10-20 metres and trunk diameter 0.7-1.5 metres at 1.0 metre above the ground.
These figs appear to be in generally good health and condition with relatively dense canopies (particularly lower specimen) and minimal pruning. There is little dead wood present in the crowns.
Agar Steps, are considered to be the best surviving example of stairways linking Flagstaff Hill (now Observatory Park) to the Lower Rocks areas. The steps and trees are scheduled in the State Heritage Register, the City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012, Sydney City Heritage Study and classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW).
These three Port Jackson Fig trees have group significance at the City/ LGA level in terms of visual, historic and ecological values. The lower fig, located adjacent to Kent Street, is a particularly outstanding specimen.
Agar Steps, named after Thomas Agars and constructed in 1870, are considered to be the best surviving example of stairways linking Flagstaff Hill (now Observatory Park) to the Lower Rocks areas (State Heritage Inventory).
The steps and these three Port Jackson Figs create a memorable landscape character to this historic precinct.Together these Port Jackson Figs continue a rich legacy of fig planting in the City and are historically and visually connected with a larger group of mixed figs in Millers Point (refer to other listings in this Register – Observatory Park, National Trust & S H Ervin Gallery, Fort Street Public School and Argyle Place Park).