This formal row of American Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) and single specimen planting of a River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) are located within a paved area and planter bed between the front boundary wall and carparking area in the Sydney University Village. Although none of the American Cottonwoods are individually significant, all are exceptionally large trees of a similar age structure.The combined canopies of these deciduous trees extend over the roadway (Carillon Avenue), linking with other mixed tree planting in the grounds of St Andrew’s College (refer to listing in this Register). Together these trees make a significant contribution to the visual and aesthetic character of this streetscape. The River Red Gum is a large specimen. This tree has individual significance at the local level.
The grounds of the University of Sydney contain an exceptional collection of significant trees, many of which are important elements in association with heritage listed buildings and road precincts. A number of places and items are scheduled on the Register of the National Estate, the State Heritage Register, City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012 and classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW). At a group level, the significant trees within the University are considered to be one of the City of Sydney’s more important collections in terms of the special combination of aesthetic, scientific, botanic, historic, social and commemorative values.Many of these trees are of exceptional value, creating landscapes of high visual and aesthetic quality and a unique sense of place. The University’s significant trees are typically associated with the curtilage of historic buildings, building facades, boundaries to colleges and along the campus boundaries, ovals and sportsgrounds, internal roadways and pedestrian walkways, courtyards and a broad range of ancillary spaces. These trees tell the stories and aspirations of people. They also provide historic markers in the landscape, describing the way the campus developed over time and its close links with Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and Victoria Park (refer to other listings in this Register).
These American Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) and single River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) are located on the southern side of Carillion Ave. Aerial photos from 1943 indicate 7 equally spaced small trees in the same location and are believed to be the Cottonwood trees. This would indicate a late 1930′ or early 1940’s planting date. Based on the 1943 photos it would appear the River Red Gum planting probably dates from the 1960’s.