This mature Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) is located next to Ogden Lane footpath (at rear of Church and The Redfern Centre) and adjacent to the Greg Hewish Community Gardens (Marriot Street frontage).
The canopy and root zone extend across footpath, laneway and adjacent reserve. The tree measures approximately, height 14 metres, canopy spread 24 metres and trunk diameter 2.0 metres at 1.0 metre above the ground.
The fig appears to be in generally good health and condition with a relatively dense canopy and a medium level of leaf damage by the fig psyllid. Recent building works have significantly disturbed adjoining soil profiles.
This mature Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) has an expansive canopy and massive basal area which creates a distinctive sense of place within the church grounds and adjoining public reserve. It has local significance in terms of visual, social and ecological values.
This Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) adjoins St Saviours Church which is a fine example of a large parish Church of Romanesque Revival design. Beautifully detailed and built brickwork, one of the few unspoilt imposing buildings left in that area which is capable of still fulfilling a community need. It was built in 1885 to the design of A and C Blacket. It is listed under the City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012.Further additions to the original church building and the Redfern Centre have increasingly encroached on this fig. Although typical of specimen planting of the late nineteenth century it was not present on the site in the 1943 aerial photo and was probably planted in the late 1940’s or early 1950’s.