The four closely planted London Planes dominate the grounds of the kindergarten and local streetscape. They measure; height 20-22 metres, canopy spread 25 metres (combined), trunk diameter 0.6-1.0 metre at 1.0 metre above the ground. The trees occur within an elevated west-facing streetscape in the historic dockside precinct of Millers Point. The group is particularly prominent within the backdrop of terrace houses and city skyline. There are few other trees or notable vegetation along this western scarp further highlighting this group’s visual and aesthetic significance.
These four London Plane Trees (Platanus x acerifolia) dominate the grounds of the Lance Kindergarten and local streetscape. Although none of the London Planes have significance as individual specimens, together they form a small group or cluster which has local significance in terms of visual, aesthetic, historic and social values.
Lance Kindergarten is scheduled in the City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012 and referred to in the Sydney City Heritage Study. The site is significant within the context of the Free Kindergarten Movement and Free Kindergarten Union of NSW (established 1895) and the redevelopment of Millers Point following the bubonic plague in 1901. The existing building for the Lance Kindergarten was constructed in 1912 as part of major redevelopment by the Sydney Harbour Trust and Public Works between 1908 and 1915. The site was first developed as a community playground, believed to be the first playground in the City of Sydney.
The existing London Planes (Platanus x acerifolia) were likely planted sometime before 1914, when the playground was merged with the Kindergarten.