These two Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla), located within a raised garden bed, adjacent to the paved forecourt area on Queens Square (Macquarie Street), are substantial specimens (15-16 metres in height/ 20-22 metres in canopy spread).
These trees have group significance in terms of their visual, aesthetic, and historic values. Together they make a dramatic visual impact within this busy pedestrian precinct.
These Moreton Bay Figs continue the historic character of the Domain and Hyde Park area and provide a visual and aesthetic link between these open spaces.
These two prominent figs were possibly planted during the latter part of the nineteenth century and would have associations with Charles Moore. These trees are evident as part of a young plantation in a photograph taken from the top of St James Church in 1871 (American & Australasian Photographic Company oai:sl.nsw.gov.au:412693 SPF / 322). Photos from the 1920’s illustrate these trees as quite mature specimens.
Hyde Park Barracks Museum is an Historic Houses Trust property, listed on the State Heritage Register, City of Sydney Local Environmental Plan 2012 and classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW).
The Hyde Park Barracks (built 1817-1819) is a fine Georgian building, originally designed by convict architect, Francis Greenway as accommodation for 600 convict men between 1819 to 1848. Following the end of transportation, the building was used as a Female Immigration Depot (1848-1886), an Asylum for Infirm and Destitute Women (1862-1886), Courts and Government Offices (1887-1979) and museum since 1979.