These two closely planted mature Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) have been retained within the recent high density residential development of Green Square. They have mulched garden beds under and raised timber decking under their canopies. The retention and protection of these two figs with their interlocked and expansive canopies is particularly important in this developing residential area.
These figs have local significance in terms of visual, aesthetic, and biodiversity values. Together they make a dramatic visual statement and significantly enhance the quality of this streetscape.
The planting possibly dates from the late post-World War period (1950’s to 1960’s). They are not evident in the 1943 aerial of the area.