This mature Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) is a relatively small specimens for this taxon. Previously part of a pair, it is located in the eastern asphalt playground with artificial turf around the base.
The canopy extends over the playground area with root zones likely to have similar spatial extent. It measures approximately, height 12-14 metres, canopy spread 16-20 metres trunk diameter 0.8-2.0 metres at 1.0 metre above the ground. It appears to be in fair to poor condition with some dead wood in the crowns and minor pruning evident and display a typically stunted growth habit. It is likely to have been stressed by drought and has in the past displayed significant leaf fall and fig psyllid damage.
This mature Moreton Bay Figs (Ficus macrophylla) is a relatively small specimen for this taxon but is nevertheless significant in terms of its aesthetic, visual, historic, and social values. In particular, it is a significant component of the Observatory Hill public collection of Moreton Bay Figs.
In 1850, the Fort Street National School was established in the old military hospital (now part of the National Trust and SH Ervin Gallery building). The school was developed as a Model school and offered its older students secondary education by the late 1850’s. In 1881, it was raised to the status of Fort Street Superior Public School and by 1911 had become three schools on one campus (including Fort Street Boys High School and Fort Street Girls High School). In 1942, Fort Street Public School was established on the present site following the relocation of Fort Street Boys High School to Parramatta Road, Petersham (Fort Street Public School web-site).
The remaining Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) probably dates from the latter part of the nineteenth century during the development of Flagstaff Hill Reserve (later Observatory Park – refer to Listing).