This avenue planting of seven Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) is located within the road paving with one specimen outside the main group. Canopies extend over the roadway and bitumen parking bays, public footpaths and front gardens of adjoining residences. Root zones appear largely confined to the road pavement and adjoining verge. The trees measure approximately, height 14-16 metres, canopy spread 12-20 metres and trunk diameter of 0.9-1.2 metres at 1.0 metre above the ground.
Generally, the figs are in fair to good condition with relatively dense canopies and some dead wood present. These figs have a history of intervention with heavy pruning to western row for overhead lines.
This avenue planting of Hill’s Weeping Figs (Ficus microcarpa var. hillii) has local group significance in terms of visual and social values. As a more or less contiguous group, these figs make an important contribution to the visual and aesthetic qualities of this streetscape. They also represent some of the older specimens planted as street trees in the LGA.
The figs appear to be a remnant group of possibly a larger original streetscape scheme. Street tree planting within the roadway is a relatively common feature of inner western suburb avenues dating from the Inter-war period (c.1915-1940), however it is somewhat rare in the City of Sydney LGA. It is believed that these figs may date from the 1930’s-1940’s period. They are clearly evident in the 1943 aerial photos of the area.