The Cook Pine (Araucaria columnaris) is located in the small front garden of this residence between the building and the boundary fence, adjacent to Glebe Point Road. The canopy and roots appear generally contained within the front garden of this property. The tree measures, height 20 metres, canopy spread 6 metres and diameter 0.7 metres at one metre above the ground.
It is likely to date from the Post War period (c.1950) and appears to be in good condition and health with a dense canopy, vigorous apical growth and no dead wood present. The slightly curved trunk is typical of this species. It has bifurcated at the top and now has two leading shoots.
This Cook Pine (Araucaria columnaris) is an outstanding botanical and landmark specimen of high visual significance.
The prominent location and height of this Araucaria pine provides a dramatic sense of scale to the streetscape. It is significant at the City/ LGA level in terms of its visual and botanic values.
This New Caledonian Pine or Cook Pine (Araucaria columnaris) is likely to date from the Post War period. On first sighting of these pines from the sea in 1774, Captain James Cook debated with his ‘philosophers’ (the Forsters) whether they were trees or ‘pillars of Basaltes’. Cook was proved correct in this instance (Source: Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust).
This notable species has been a popular collector’s item since the nineteenth century, particularly as a specimen or accent planting within larger gardens and estates. It is closely related to other native Australian rainforest and South-western Pacific Island pine species such as the Bunya Pine (Araucaria bidwillii), Hoop Pine (Araucaria cunninghamii) and Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla). The Cook Pine and other Araucaria pines have been used extensively in mixed groups within the Domain/ Royal Botanic Gardens and Hyde Park.